Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Old Issue of Cellphones in School

When my generation was starting first grade this wasnt even an idea to have children with mobile devices.  As we got older cellphones were easier to access and people starting getting them in their later teens.  This brought to schools the issue of controling cellphone use in class.  Many teachers had strict rules on using your cellphone in class or if they even saw it they would take it.  With technology becoming more advanced and actually being able to helpout in the classroom, schools are faced with another question.  Will cellphones be allowed in class for educational purposes. A few people have done and polls and this is one of the results.  Some videos show positives and negatives of students having a cell phone in school. These are the opinions of the three news casters, but they are all very legitimate arguements. 



 Being a student and a future educator I can take both sides of this arguement.  Not only can students be distracted but it has promoted cyber bullying also.  An example of this is someone taping a fight and sending it around school or inappropriate pictures being sent throughout the school. Though these are negatives we have seen positives in our SEDU class. For example, using it to anonymously have students answer a poll and have instant results at the front of the classroom.  This is an issue that started when my generation started middle school and has grown to an even larger issue with the capabilties a phone has now-a-days. I believe this issue will continue on as technology continues to grow. 
 
My side on this issue is that I think it would be useful for me when I become a teacher.  Being that I am going to be  a Middle school teacher, kids will all have cells phones as they do now.  This means that I can use them in quick quizzes or polls.  I like this idea because I know how shy children can be.  Especially when it comes to science.  Most students aren't very knowledgeable when it comes to science.  This means that they would be shy to raise their hand because they don't want other kids to think they are stupid.  With the cell phone polls it can all be annonymous and I can figure out what I need to take more time on and what they are actually comprehending.  I think this could definitly be a positive in my classroom. 

1 comment:

  1. And younger students are starting to own cell phones and that is going to become a bigger concern. Students need to be educated at a young age about the use of cell phones in school and out

    ReplyDelete