Monday, April 16, 2012

This I believe





This I believe...

           Teachers are what made me into the person I am today.  Not only in the sense of what I want to be when I grow up, but also in the way I treat people, why I continue to strive for the best, and why I don't give up.  Throughout my highschool career, I have had some of the best teachers available. Every one of them has helped shaped me in someway.  These qualities also show in the real world.  One of my teachers helped me push through hard times, another geared me into the science world that I love, and the last taught me to never give up on anything.
           The first teacher to impact my life was unexpected.  I was taking his class for an easy credit my junior and senior year.  I wasn't interested in art but I knew it would be an easy class.  Little did I know that my art teacher, Mr. Humes, would be there to pick me up when my world came crashing down.  He was the type of teacher that kept a serious relationship with most students, but was more like a father to a select few. I was blessed to be tucked uner his wing.  Not only did he listen to my woes of the day, but he responded with help.  He knew how much my education meant to me and what I was struggling through to get where I wanted to be.  He helped me in so many ways.  He was present at my senior project presentation and kept reminding me how close I was to graduating.  He was the voice that kept me going.
          
 The next teacher solidified the idea that I was meant to be in science.  I took my highs school science classes with her.  Mrs. Prokopchalk had such a passion for science that it rubbed off on me.  She told me what influenced her to become a teacher.  I was always just interested in animals, but she taught me that science is what makes the world go round. When science started to seem a bit crazy and twisted, she brought it into perspective.  She helped me understand a confusing subject that soon became my passion.

         The last teacher taught me to never give up.  My calculus teacher, Mr. Berringer, challenged me in my senior year.  I wasn't even going to take calculus because I didn't want to do poorly in my last year.  After he did some slick talking it seemed calculus was the only way to go.  Looking back it was the best decision, because he was the best teacher to have learned this troubling topic from.  Whenever class became overwhelming, he took the time with each student to find out where the problem was.  In teaching such a challenging topic I think that all teachers should realize they need to spend the extra time to help students understand.  Mr. Berringer understood how to help different types of learners and accomadated us all.  He was the only teacher that I had that actually knew how to teach to the whole class.  Even though the subject was tough, I never gave up and it showed in the end. I owe where I am today to all of my teachers throughout my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment